It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Post subject: New addition to the collection. VE DAY in Dijon France 1945
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

I just thought this group was really interesting. nice france 1945 color grouping. Bought and Paid tonight :D :D :D
cant wait to get this in the post. :D :D

66 - WWII World War 2 Soldiers Original 35mm Slides - VE DAY in Dijon France
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0762433399

info from the auction.
sounds like a really interesting little lot.

Up for sale are 66 - WWII World War 2 Soldiers ORIGINAL 35mm Slides showing American Troops and French Citizens celebrating VE DAY in Dijon France back in 1945. What a great set of historic slides. These were taken by an American soldier and have never been public before!! The main auction pic shows 40 slides that directly have American soldiers, citizens, or both celebrating in the streets. There are another 26 slides I will include that are not shown that depict the city of Dijon France. I suspect the soldier was capturing some "goodbye" pics.

Soldier/Citizen Pics
There is one great slide of a giant "V" made in ribbon on the side of a building. The "V" is probably 30 feet tall. There are a couple pics of soldiers loading up to break camp, and a shot of the camp tents. There are a couple with American soldiers (I spotted an US Army Air Forces sleeve patch) taking pics and playing with French children. It is just a great collection. They have been stored in Argus Automatic Slide Changer Magazines all this time and they are in fantastic condition! The slides look better in person than they do in my listing as they "yellow" comes from the slide viewer tray light.

From Wikipedia
Dijon Air Base is one of the oldest of the Armée de l'Air, being established in 1914, having origins beginning in September 1910 as a civilian aerodrome. Units from the base fought in World War I.[4]

During World War II the airport was attacked by the Luftwaffe on several occasions (10, 14 May) during the Battle of France. It was seized by the German Army on 25 May. Initially during the Occupation of France, it was used as a Prisoner of War camp for French and Allied personnel during August and September 1940 who surrendered during the German Blitzkrieg, being named "Front Stalag 155". While a POW camp, prisoners were used to clear the wreckage of destroyed aircraft and tear down destroyed buildings. German engineers moved in during the winter of 1940/1941 and expanded the main runway from 800 to 1400m in length, in addition to constructing many new buildings to replace the destroyed French facilities.[4]

The first operational Luftwaffe unit to take up residence at Dijon was IV/KG 55 "Greiff", in February 1941, consisting of three squadrons (Staffel) numbers 10, 11 and 12, equipped with 12 Heinkel 111 bombers each. The unit will also include a number of Gotha 145 and Junkers 52s. This unit took part in many bombing missions over England.[4] In March 1943, II/NJG4 arrived, a night fighter unit, equipped with three squadrons of Messerschmitt Bf 110s; Dornier 217 N-1s (RADAR equipped), and Ju 88 Ns[4]

Also in 1943, I/Luftlandgeschwader 2. arrived at Dijon from the Crimea in the Eastern Front, equipped with Heinkel 111Z reconnaissance aircraft, as well as Gotha 242 gliders. The unit only stayed at Dijon briefly, being moved to Istres for use in the Italian Campaign.[4]

While under Luftwaffe control, Dijon Air Base was attacked by the United States Army Air Force Eighth Air Force heavy B-17 Flying Fortress groups on several occasions in 1944 (28 March, 25 April and August 14). Tactical air units of Twelfth Air Force, moving up from Southern France as part of Operation Dragoon attacked the base with B-26 Marauder medium bombers and P-47 Thunderbolt attacks, dropping 500 pound General Purpose (GP) bombs on the airfield, hangars, maintenance shops and other support buildings, causing great damage to the Luftwaffe aircraft as well as destroying much of the support station.[4]

With the Allied ground forces advancing into the Dijon area, the Germans evacuated the base on 10 September 1944. Prior to their retreat, German engineers attempted to destroy what little remained after the bombing attacks, blowing up the control tower; shelters; bunkers; ammunition and gasoline; water towers; tanks; electrical transformers and barracks.

On 12 September the first American units arrived at the base. The base was almost totally destroyed, and rehabilitation into an operational combat airfield was begun almost immediately by the USAAF IX Engineering Command 847th Engineer Aviation Battalion, which specialized in repair of captured airfields. Work began clearing the base of mines and destroyed Luftwaffe aircraft and repairing operational facilities for use by American aircraft. A metal Pierced Steel Planking patch was laid down over the bomb damaged runway to allow aircraft operations, as well as repairing with what could be repaired quickly, and moved in what equipment was necessary to conduct combat operations. Their work paid off as Dijon Air Base was declared operationally ready on 25 September, about two weeks after their arrival. It was designated as Advanced Landing Ground "Y-9" as an American airfield.[5][6]

USAAF units assigned to the airfield were:[7][8]

415th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), September– November 1944, Bristol Beaufighter
320th Bombardment Group, 11 November 1944 – 1 April 1945 B-26 Marauder, B-25 Mitchell (12th AF)
17th Bombardment Group, 20 November 1944 – June 1945, B-25 Mitchell (12th AF)

It was also the Headquarters of the 42d Bombardment Group between November 1944 and July 1945. Each of the bomb groups had three or four combat squadrons of aircraft assigned to the airfield. From Dijon, attacks on German ground forces, bridges, airfields still in Luftwaffe hands, railroads and any target of opportunity of the German forces were targets of the bombers as the ground forces moved north and east into Luxembourg and past the Siegfried Line into Germany.

In addition to the American units, The Free French Air Force operated B-26 Marauders from Dijon beginning on 11 October 1944.[4] Dijon was returned to the French Air Ministry by the Americans on on 1 July 1945.

pixpast tags ( farbdias, kodachrome, photo collecting, wwii color photo, wwii color slide, WWII soldier, military, filmosto, agfacolor, russland, luftwaffe, wehrmacht, farbdia, krieg, panzer, color, colour, farbe, bunt )

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New addition to the collection. VE DAY in Dijon France 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

the seller just confirmed, there in the post tomorrow.. yippeee :-)
i know these were not super cheap but to buy a group of VE day in war torn france 1945 is pritty ok for this price.
especially when single shots are selling for 20 or 30 dollars a pop.
so happy in my nappy with this one.
Ian :D

pixpast tags ( farbdias, kodachrome, photo collecting, wwii color photo, wwii color slide, WWII soldier, military, filmosto, agfacolor, russland, luftwaffe, wehrmacht, farbdia, krieg, panzer, color, colour, farbe, bunt )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

a quick map of where this is in France.
i really have no idea of french geography.

Dijon france

Attachments:
franc.jpg
franc.jpg [ 130.38 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:33 pm 

I saw these and had a feeling you were the bidder. Congrats! They look great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

MrPeanut05 wrote:
I saw these and had a feeling you were the bidder. Congrats! They look great!

Thanks Brennan, i think these will really turn out well under my v700. also finding nice end of war european color slides 1944 and 1945 are not so easy to find...

what made you think i won this one ? curiosity is getting the better of me ?

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 pm 

I recognized your eBay number :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

Brennan is a photo stalker.
Paul :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm 

Ian - those look really nice. Did the seller mention how crisp the detail is with the slides?

I've sold slides on ebay before ( non WWII ) and trying to get a good scan or photo is not easy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

ahh brennan is ebay stalking me :? :?
:lol: :lol:
i just got these fresh in the post today.
had a quick peek inside... hehe :D
really jaw dropping sharp colour shots of the french crowds on the streets for freedom...very cool collection.
I have to make some nice scans of that and my new smolensk 1941 color slides oh and my new leipzig color slides as well.
I think the collection keeps on gowing faster than i can scan it. :lol:

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:22 pm 

The V700 scans great at 3200 dpi and higher. Ian should get some real nice images from this grouping. I'm quite jealous!