It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 am

Post subject: Hugo Krause Color Slide Collection, 136 Gebirgsjager Rgt.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Color Slide Collection from Hugo Krause, 3rd Battalion of the 136 Gebirgsjager Rgt.

I just landed the biggest deal of 2012.
a little more than 500 private color slides (farbdias) taken by an Austrian born and trainned Gebirgsjager soldier. Serving in the german army from 1938 until 1944.
The photographer was a Tirol man called Hugo Krause.
Every single color slide has a hand writhen description with date and location.
The collections shows Hugos trainning in the Kasserne Landeck in Austria. Then into Russia and Latvia 1941 and 1942.
Then later 1943 and 1944, retreating with his troops back to Norway and Lappland.

I sadly dont have any more private information about this man at the moment.
But any help would be super, to track down more information on this man.

Also from the brief information about being a Gebirgsjager member and being first stationed in Landeck, then onto Russia and finally to Norway and Lappland 1944. I guess he would have belonged to the Gebirgsjagerregiment 136 ?
But strangly enough, on the slide box, is written Rgt 134.
I wonder did he writh down the wrong regiment number ?

Anyway, any help on researching this man would be super !

Best wishes.
Ian :-)

Attachments:
File comment: this is the first color slide to come out of the box. a wonderful period 1943 farbdia portrait of Hugo Krause.
theman.jpg
theman.jpg [ 59.78 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

pixpast tags ( farbdias, kodachrome, photo collecting, wwii color photo, wwii color slide, WWII soldier, military, filmosto, agfacolor, russland, luftwaffe, wehrmacht, farbdia, krieg, panzer, color, colour, farbe, bunt )
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Hugo Krause Color Slide Collection, 136 Gebirgsjäger Rgt.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm 

Ian, that sounds like an awesome score! can't wait to see the images from this grouping. As to the different regt. on box, it could be the seller has the information wrong. Check the photos for any evidence either way.

All the best, Mike
Ian wrote:
on another note.
a little more than 500 private color slides (farbdias) taken by an Austrian born and trainned Gebirgsjager soldier. Serving in the german army from 1938 until 1944.
The collections shows Hugos trainning in the Kasserne Landeck in Austria. Then into Russia and Latvia 1941 and 1942.
Then later 1943 and 1944, retreating with his troops back to Norway and Lappland.

Also from the brief information about being a Gebirgsjager member and being first stationed in Landeck, then onto Russia and finally to Norway and Lappland 1944. I guess he would have belonged to the Gebirgsjägerregiment 136 ?

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 pm 

Ian wrote:
on another note.

Also from the brief information about being a Gebirgsjager member and being first stationed in Landeck, then onto Russia and finally to Norway and Lappland 1944. I guess he would have belonged to the Gebirgsjägerregiment 136 ?

Best wishes.

I can't find anything on Rgt 134, but the 3rd Battalion of the 136 Gebirgsjäger Rgt. seems to fit the locations you have given. The Regiment was formed in 1938 with the 3rd Battalion stationed in Landeck. Then it served in Poland. In 1940 it was stationed in Norway as part of the 2nd Gebirgsjäger Division. Between 1941 and 1944 it was in Lappland, (probably the Finnish area). At the end of the war they were in the Saarfalz, so Hugo Krause probably wasn't taken by the Russians.

This is a loose translation of this article;

Quote:
Das Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 136 wurde am 1. August 1938 im Wehrkreis XVIII aufgestellt. Das Regiment entstand aus dem Tiroler Jäger-Regiment des österreichischen Bundesheeres. Der Stab und das I. Bataillon wurden in Innsbruck, im Wehrkreis XVIII, stationiert. Das III. Bataillon vom Regiment wurde in Landeck, ebenfalls Wehrkreis XVIII, stationiert. Ein II. Bataillon wurde nicht aufgestellt. Das Regiment wurde nach der Aufstellung der 2. Gebirgs-Division unterstellt. ........... Das Regiment wurde jetzt in Polen eingesetzt. Ende 1939 lag das Regiment am Niederrhein....... 1940 wurde das Regiment dann mit der Division nach Norwegen verlegt. Zwischen 1941 und 1944 wurde das Regiment in Lappland eingesetzt. Zum Ende des Krieges kam das Regiment in der Saarpfalz zum Einsatz.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... Inhalt.htm

If you have a Feldpost number for Krause, this website has the units listed with numbers.

~BP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

which unit used this dog as a unit emblem ?
Ian :D

pixpast tags ( farbdias, kodachrome, photo collecting, wwii color photo, wwii color slide, WWII soldier, military, filmosto, agfacolor, russland, luftwaffe, wehrmacht, farbdia, krieg, panzer, color, colour, farbe, bunt )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 am 

I have seen it before though cannot remember what is for. Great image Ian! Cannot wait for more. Are you going to start a designated thread I hope?

Mike
Ian wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 am 

Amazing photo! Congrats Ian.
Paul

Post subject: Re: Hugo Krause Color Slide Collection, 136 Gebirgsjäger Rgt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Admin

thanks guys. As i get to go through this monster collection. I will post up more information as it comes.
I would really like to put together a picture of this mans war activity.
thanks for the compliments and help !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:36 pm 

Ian wrote:

By dog, if you mean the badge on his cap, it looks like the badge for the 5. Gebirgs-Division. Here are a couple of Wiki links; the first for the badge, the second for the unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:5th_M ... n_logo.svg

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/5._Gebirgs ... (Wehrmacht)

I looked at the abteilung of the 5th Division and I don't see a Regiment 136 or 134. The units travels through the war show 1942 at Leningrad, then they were mostly in the south, Greece and Italy.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... GebDiv.htm

If I am right on Krause being in the 2nd Division, why would he have the badge of the 5th Division. I might be wrong about the badge, or I am missing something.

~BP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Admin

BrigPilgrim wrote:
Ian wrote:

By dog, if you mean the badge on his cap, it looks like the badge for the 5. Gebirgs-Division. Here are a couple of Wiki links; the first for the badge, the second for the unit.

I looked at the abteilung of the 5th Division and I don't see a Regiment 136 or 134. The units travels through the war show 1942 at Leningrad, then they were mostly in the south, Greece and Italy.

If I am right on Krause being in the 2nd Division, why would he have the badge of the 5th Division. I might be wrong about the badge, or I am missing something.

~BP

very interesting!
there are no references in the slide collection of leningrad, greece or italy.
but every thing revolving around landeck, russia and then lappland 1944.
I wonder why an active member of apparently Gebirgsjägerregiment 136.
Here are some more fresh scans this morning to help with the search.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Admin

a close up of the shoulder boards of Hugo commanders uniform.
Ian

Attachments:
unit-number.jpg
unit-number.jpg [ 261.27 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Der Komp. Chef 1943

Attachments:
File comment: Der Komp. Chef 1943
commander.jpg
commander.jpg [ 32.4 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Beim Langlauf 27.3.1944

Attachments:
File comment: Beim Langlauf 27.3.1944
themen.jpg
themen.jpg [ 96.37 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

Ian wrote:
BrigPilgrim wrote:
Ian wrote:

~BP

very interesting!
there are no references in the slide collection of leningrad, greece or italy.
but every thing revolving around landeck, russia and then lappland 1944.
I wonder why an active member of apparently Gebirgsjägerregiment 136.
Here are some more fresh scans this morning to help with the search.

A couple of questions;

Is it possible that "theman.jpg" is not Krause? I can find a lot of photo's on line for GJR 136 and I don't see this badge on any of them. It is possible that he switched units, that might account for the GJR 134, but I haven't found any record of a 134 unit. He could have trained with the 5 Division and then was assigned to the 2nd. The shot "theman.jpg" looks like a stock shot. Was Krause working as a Kriegsbericht? How did his portfolio survive the years and how could he afford film and handling during the war?

Also, for when I am searching, how was his name spelled during the war? Krause or Krauß?

This is an enjoyable project Ian, congratulations.

~BP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

the photographers name was spelled Krause.
I dont think he was an official Kriegsberichter because a lot of his color slides are good old normal snap and shoot shots and not well thought out posed pics like the typical Kriegsberichter estates.
About the ID of the man shown, the only reason i take it it was him is becasue the same man is seen in many more of the color slides.
of course this could simply mean that the photographer Krause was some what attached to this others mans military unit.... ??

here are a few more scans to help the hunt....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

forgot to answer this.

and how could he afford film and handling during the war?

not many but a few men that became soldiers in the armed forced had a deep and passionate interest in photography and also in the latest technology.
some soldiers just had luck and had rich families back home in germany or austrian that simply could pay what ever price the big photo shops wanted for the last stocks of color film available.
think of it this way... a single agfacolor roll had 36 exposures in color. if your family walked into the right shop in 1939 to 1942, and saw a box of 20 film packs on the shelf, well then good old Fritz could go out onto the front and snap 720 color slides... color shots...
and that with only 20 rolls....
that was possible for a private peron with the right resources !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

trainning Hauptmann in Kasserne Landeck in Austria

Attachments:
gebirg2.jpg
gebirg2.jpg [ 48.42 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]